Physical activity has numerous benefits for children and young people’s physical health, as well as their mental wellbeing (increasing self-esteem and emotional wellbeing and lowering anxiety and depression), and children who are physically active are happier, more resilient and more trusting of their peers. Ensuring that pupils have access to sufficient daily activity can also have wider benefits for pupils and schools, improving behaviour as well as enhancing academic achievement.
The PE and Sport Premium Funding helps primary aged children to achieve this aim, providing primary schools with £320m of government funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of the PE, physical activity
In the school year, 2019/2020 Stone Lodge Academy hope to receive £16,000 from the Sports Premium Fund plus an additional funding of £10 per primary aged child. We will be looking to spend this in the following ways:
- Transport to take pupils to a variety of off-site sports events across the year, for example, the Pantheon Games
- Supply staff to support off site Physical education visits/Tournaments
- New activities including Outdoor Learning, Relaxation/Mindfulness therapies.
- Resource lunchtime clubs including Dance Club, Football Club and Basketball Club.
- Swimming lessons
- Horse Riding
- Seven-week after-school sailing program at Alton Water (organised via the Wolverstone Project). Annual event takes place every summer.