Chalk Hill – formerly Hampden House, is for boys aged between 8 and 14 who have been permanently excluded or are at risk of permanent exclusion from mainstream schools. We believe that with the right support for their Social, Emotional and/or Mental Health needs, these children and young people can learn to change their behaviour, re-engage positively with learning and prepare for life as a successful learner, employee and citizen.
Most of our students have experienced difficulty, disturbance or trauma in their childhood. We believe that no young person should be defined by their past, but that with courage and commitment, they can transform their future.
We aim to provide a caring, supportive and challenging learning environment in which students will overcome their barriers to learning, reintegrate successfully into their local mainstream schools or another appropriate education provider, and into the community.
- An accelerated, targeted individual education plan
- Targeted intervention and support to address each child’s specific Social, Emotional and Mental Health Needs
- Access to a broad and balanced school curriculum.
- 24 hour support Monday morning to Friday afternoon in the case of boarders.
- Close liaison and positive support work with parents and carers
- Close working with external agencies such as Social Services, Educational Psychologists, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services, Young Offending and Suffolk County Council Children and Young People’s Services
- Supported transition to the next school or learning provider.
The length of time students spend at Chalk Hill depends on their needs and circumstances. Many spend two or three terms with us, with the aim of making a successful and supported return to mainstream school. However, boys often spend longer at Chalk Hill, preparing to move on to the education provider that is right for them.
Boarding places will be offered to children designated as having Social, Emotional and Mental Health Needs whose life at home and/or in the community impact adversely upon their engagement with education.
Chalk Hill Academy
Great Cornard, Sudbury
Suffolk. CO10 2SF
+44 (0)1787 373583